Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thoughts: 27-June-2009

As I am not interested in seeing Rockem Sockem Robots 2 (Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen) I will be catching up on DVDs and watching movies that I want to see. Movies made for adults with real plots and real acting.

I watched American Chopper last night, seems that Mikey is currently working without a contract and he is not asking to go on promotion tours and do PR work anymore. When he did have a contract, he was asked to go all the time. I don't really understand this twist that the show has taken. Are the producers trying to make OCC look bad and Sr unsympathetic? Given that their success is due to the fanbase, I wonder what they think they are accomplishing by alienating that base?

Interesting article in the latest issue of The Atlantic. Newsweek and Time's circulation is sinking fast and these publications are trying to revamp to make themselves more appealing. Yet, the British newsweekly, The Economist, and The Week are doing great. Both these publications have seen increases in their circulation, The Economist is poised to go past Newsweek.

Why the success for these two publications? They provide a summary of the news across the world. The Economist will cover news in countries located in Africa and Asia that you never get to hear about. The Week presents a news summary and then recaps opinions from different sources, e.g. a political story will have recaps from both liberal and conservative news sources. This is what people want and these publications are giving it to them.

I was a longtime subscriber to Newsweek and gave up as it became irrelevant. I switched to Time, and it went the same way. US News and World Report ended its weekly print publication. So now I subscribe to the Week. I used to subscribe to the Economist, but they tend to be a bit anti-American in their editorials.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment