Saturday, March 7, 2009

Thoughts on latest comic book news, 07-Mar-2009

I am getting ready to go see Watchmen this afternoon and wanted to make some comments about some of the latest comic book news.

Marvel is cancelling Young X-Men with issue #12. I liked this book that feature new characters who may be the last mutants in the Marvel Universe. Marvel is going to replace this book with a new version of their New Mutants comic. This first came out years ago and featured a new group of mutants that Xavier gathered together. I don't know what happened to most of these characters as I was not reading the X-Men comics for a while, Cannonball is going to be in this book, he is the only one I remember from the New Mutants.

Marvel really does not like to announce comic cancellations. I almost never read about any comics they plan to cancel until the deed is done. DC is a lot more upfront about cancelling books. I guess Marvel likes to pretend all their books are great sellers.

Marvel also cancelled She-Hulk with issue #38. This was the best rendition of this character to date, the book was constantly entertaining and well written. Marvel is planning on creating a new Savage She-Hulk character who will be an offspring of the Hulk and Thundra, some woman warrior that pops up in the Marvel Universe every so often. I guess Skarr must be doing better than expected, for this next creative action to take place.

When DC killed the Barry Allen Flash in Crisis on Infinite Earths those many years ago, I was surprised at their restraint in not bringing this character back. But true to the code, that no one dies a permanent death in comics, Barry Allen is coming back in April in The Flash Reborn. I liked the Wally West Flash and have to wonder why DC is doing this. Can Steve Rogers aka Captain America be far behind in the Marvel Universe?

Batman RIP was one of the worst written series ever, does anybody think that storyline made any sense at all? Then Bruce Wayne gets killed in the Final Crisis and we are going to have a mega issue story line of who will be the new Batman. The only thing that would make sense would be Dick Grayson getting the job, but given that DC green lit Batman RIP, I doubt that would happen.

I also see that Barbara Gordon is supposed to regain the use of her legs and become Batgirl again. One, I liked the Cassandra Cain Batgirl character and two, she was very good as Oracle with the Birds of Prey comic being one of the best around. I am intrigued by the Batwoman story taking over Detective Comics in June, I would like to see what is done with that concept.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment