Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thoughts on College Basketball: 29-March-2009

I don't really follow the NCAA tournament. I never understood the interest and excitement of March Madness. Growing up in Central PA, I am a big time loyal Penn State fan. This year the men's team made it to the NIT. They beat George Mason, URI (my boss's Alta Mater) and Florida to make it to the semifinals (I guess NCAA has Final Four as a copyright). Tomorrow night they play Notre Dame for a chance to make it to the championship game.

Years ago, when I was at Kent State, I used to listen to Pete Franklin who called the NIT, the NITWIT as only nitwits care who wins that tournament. Regardless of the late Mr. Franklin's beliefs, this is a big boost for the men's team and maybe will help with recruiting.

Pitt got beat last night in the NCAA, and as a Penn State fan, hate Pitt with a passion. I don't mind seeing UConn make it to the Final Four, I hope that can win it all. Was nice to see Pitt get beat by Villianova.

The only time I ever watch the NCAA championship came was when Villanova beat Georgetown. I was in grad school and there was nothing else to watch on TV. Very exciting game and I am glad I saw it. Just don't have too much interest in watching it now.

The nice thing about Pitt losing is that there is a big time jerk at work who worships Pitt and it will be nice to laugh at him when he starts crying about Pitt losing tomorrow. I also have a co-worker who is really into basketball who told me Pitt is going all the way. He tends to be a bit smug about his sports expertise and it will be nice to see his explanation for why he was wrong. He also is a Buffalo Bills fan.

UConn's women's team is undefeated and is looking to sweep the tournament. Penn State has had a successful women's team in the past, never won the championship but made it to the Final Four a couple of times. Now they are rebuilding with a new coach who finished her second year at Penn State. I would like to see UConn win it all.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment