Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thoughts: 05-July-2009

Just came back from seeing Public Enemies starring Johnny Depp and Christan Bale, directed by Michael Mann. I thought it was a very good film, another great performance by Depp. Lots of Oscar talk associated with this movie. I have to say, the three best films that I have seen so far in 2009 are State of Play, Up, and this movie.

Two movies that I like a lot and that have gotten pretty bad reviews are Practical Magic and It Could Happen to You. There are so many scenes in each film that I love and these two movies are on my most favorite list.

Practical Magic (1998, directed by Griffin Dunn) stars Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman as two sister witches suffering under a family curse that dooms their love affairs. I love how the young Sandra makes a love spell to find her true love that eventually brings forth an Arizona Ranger played by Aidan Quinn who is searching for a criminal that Kidman is dating. Bullock and Kidman end up killing this guy then try to bring him back with magic with disastrous results. I love the scenes where Kidman uses her magic to put Bullock at the head of the phone tree, the scene where a frog coughs up the ring of the bad guy, when Quinn uses his badge to ward off the evil spirit, and then the sisters using the family curse to not only vanquish the evil but cast the curse off forever. What a great film.

It Could Happen to You (1994, directed by Andrew Bergman) stars Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda who play two kindhearted folk who share a lottery fortune when Cage leaves it for a tip. Rosie Perez is at her nastiest as Cage's wife who wants all the money for herself. She reminds me of my brother first wife, a mean cold hearted bitch who gets her due. Lots of great scenes in this film, especially the end when the city of New York helps them out thanks to the photo journalism of Angel Dupree, a New York Post photographer played by Issac Hayes. Wonderful film that is done so tenderly it always brings a tear to my eye.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment