Thursday, February 12, 2009

I love Godzilla

I remember when I first became a fan of Godzilla movies. Channel 17 out of Philadelphia had an afternoon host named Wee Willie Weber who showed cartoons and Ultraman. One week, we were told that not only would we get to see Ultraman at 5:30 pm, but at 6 we would see Godzilla vs the Sea Monster. I could not wait.

Great memory watching that film. The TV station scheduled this 95 min flick for two hours, so we got to see the whole film. My first Godzilla film and I was hooked. I would search the TV Guide to see when other films would play and also try and watch them.

Then Godzilla vs Megalon was played at East 5 Theaters at the Harrisburg East Mall. My first experience watching a Godzilla film on the big screen. Too bad it was one of the lesser entries in the series.

I read magazines over the years whenever Godzilla was featured, catch it when a local channel would show a movie. I was living in NJ working in the Princeton area when the Quakerbridge Mall Cinemas announced that Godzilla 1985 was playing. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!

Now I have most of the Godzilla films on DVD, just waiting the the final few not realised in Region 2. I subscribe to G-Fan, published and edited by JD Lees which covers everything Godzilla. I have grown to love any giant monster movie, from King Kong to the Host, and even Cloverfield. I even liked the Tristar Godzilla film that Matthew Broadrick was in. I am in heaven.

Now if only Toho would start making some new Godzilla films.

3 comments:

  1. We have at least five more years to see if new G-films will be produced. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is true and I hope Toho will continue the trend of reviving the franchise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, ArmandV, I like your posts on the Classic Horror Film Board and like you, am a big fan of G-Fan.

    ReplyDelete