Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Death of Filmbobbery

After receiving news that Realms of Fantasy has ceased publishing, I got news of another publication that I subscribe to that will end with the May issue. Filmbobbery, a quarterly newsletter about film, published by Robert J. Lentz will cease publishing.

I first heard about this publication from an ad in Classic Images. I sent for a subscription and was thrilled to find a newsletter packed with film reviews, trivia, and great articles like coverage of the two movies made about the US Camel Corps. Lentz has written two books available from McFarland on Lee Marvin's films and on Korean War movies. He has a forthcoming book later this year on Gloria Grahame. He was a very entertaining writer and while I did not always agree with him, looked forward to what he had to say.

He even published a letter of mine asking for a Dean Jones filmography article. I guess he will not be doing that now.

Lentz hopes to get something going on the Internet, I hope so. Too many film magazines are going under, as the magazine market declines. It would be a shame for his unique voice not to have a forum.

2 comments:

  1. Victor,
    Any additional information on the forthcoming Gloria Grahame book? Website?

    Thanks, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just know what I read in Filmbobbery, it will be published by McFarland and will be coming out sometime this fall.

    ReplyDelete