Sunday, March 21, 2010

Thoughts: 21-March-2010

I watched my DVD copy of Tremors last night, what a great film. Ron Underwood did a great job in directing this film and it reminds me a lot of Jaws in that both he and Steven Spielberg really showed a great appreciation for the monster films of the 1950's and 1960's. Both movies are an excellent homage to those films. I plan on watching the next two films in the series today to prepare for the Tremors: the Series DVD set that I just got.

The Pacific (HBO): I just watched Part 1 via on Demand and this miniseries looks as good as Band of Brothers. Very good cinematography and very well done. I look forward to catching more episodes. A

Secret Diary of a Call Girl (Showtime): I started watching this series because Billie Piper was the star and I was curious to see how she would handle this role after being on Doctor Who. I guess we have come a long way since Katy Manning who played Jo Grant posed nude with a Dalek in Girls Illustrated. Piper does a very good job and does appear to use a body double in the more graphic sex scenes. Just finished the third season and it is not a bad show. Check it out. B

Lots of upsets in the NCAA tournament, I have a friend at work who told me his bracket picks got busted after Day 1. At least four major upsets happened. The last time I got excited about this tournament was when I was in grad school and decided to watch the final game between Georgetown and Villonova. What an exciting game, well worth watching. Too bad basketball games usually fail to live up to that level of excitement.

So the three new Avengers books coming out from Marvel will be entitled, The Avengers, The Secret Avengers, and the New Avengers. Thanks Marvel, let's continue this trend of multiple books per character. There also appears to be a couple more Spider-Man books coming out. I am just going to stick with the main book, I cannot support this trend any more.'

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment