Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thought:s: 20-March-2010

The first day of spring and we got a beautiful day here in Southeastern CT. I got all my laundry done and have the rest of the weekend to myself.

I just read in the Comic Shop News (free paper that I get with my Midtown comics package each week) that we are going to have three ongoing Avengers titles from Marvel. There goes my hope that they would cut back on doing multiple titles for the same book. Black Widow gets her own ongoing book and I see that Iron Man will get a second ongoing book. Oh brother, why?

I have been watching a lot of History International, which appears to be where all the shows I used to watch on the History Channel went to. History's Mysteries for example, a nice little show. Over on the History Channel, we get Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men, and MonsterQuest.

I have a hankering to watch Tremors and plan on doing so this weekend. A great little film that spawned three direct to DVD films and a 13 episode TV series on the SyFy Channel back when it was Sci Fi.

Last week, the Weekly Standard had a nice write up on Analog Science Fiction and Fact, currently the longest continuously published SF magazine. Only three editors for its 80 year run, John Campbell, Ben Bova, and the current editor, Stanley Schmidt. I just cancelled my subscription as I am trying to cut back on magazines. Analog features hard SF and has had some pretty good stories over the years. Campbell was a SF giant who influenced and nurtured lots of great writers. Schmidt currently publishes a blend of new and old writers and I have to say that I was glad to see the Weekly Standard give a nice review to this publication. I will pick up a copy next time I see it on the newsstands.

Of course I still say that the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction still is the best for overall high quality of fiction. And it is the second oldest SF publication.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment