Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thoughts: 23-August-2009

I saw District 9 yesterday. What an original and creative movie that turned out to be. The story was riveting, the special effects were excellent, and I was very happy to have seen this movie. A great SF picture from South Africa which begs the question, why can't Hollywood turn out a movie like this. We get Rockem Sockem Robots (Transfomers 2) made for a butt load of money and running for almost 3 hours. This is an A film and I urge people to check it out.

I wanted to comment on some comic book trends today. The Spirit was cancelled with issue 32, I ran the last two issues where Mike Ploog and Dan Green did a two part story called The Celtic Stone. Very well done and was an excellent story. Another great comic is cancelled due to low sales. Granted DC stuck with this comic much longer than I would have expected, which begs the question, why are comic buyers not supporting great series like this?

Blackest Night is the current multi comic theme running over in DC. It has gotten rave reviews from Kat Curtis on the Naked News. Sorry, I don't see it. I am bored with the whole current Green Lantern story line. Blue, Red, Yellow, and now Black Lanterns. The Guardians getting all wacky with the rules. And now dead heroes coming back like Bruce Wayne aka Batman. If you want to bring back dead heroes, then bring them back or better yet stop killing them as a sales gimmick.

I will continue to buy Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, and the main Blackest Night miniseries, but now of the other miniseries that DC is pushing. Don't care enough to read it all. I can always catch up on Wikipedia.

I do like Dark Reign running through the Marvel comics line. Norman Osborn is a great villain and is being well handled here. This I can get into. Of course, I am getting tired of all the multiple versions of the Avengers, do we need four monthly books?

And let's bring back the Ultimate line already. I liked the idea of having 2-4 monthly books covering the Ultimate universe and a couple of miniseries, one shots, and annuals filling in the rest of the story. And thank God Nick Fury came back at the end of the Ultimatum miniseries. I look forward to the new Ultimate comics, starting with Ultimate Avengers.

Yes I know, but the Ultimate line is not going to have four Avengers books.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment