Saturday, January 9, 2010

Thoughts: 09-January-2010

Today is my friend Sheryl's birthday, and as she one of the few that I know read this blog, happy birthday. Since my birthday is in January also, we always treat each other to breakfast which I plan on doing on Tuesday for her.

Rue Morgue had some good news for me in its latest issue. A favorite movie of mine from Australia finally made it to DVD. Razorback starring Gregory Harrison came out years ago and is about a giant razorback pig roaming the outback killing people. One of the many Jaws imitations that came out after the success of that film. It was directed by Russel Mulcahy who directed the first two Highlander films. I just ordered it from Amazon.com and cannot wait to get it.

NFL Playoff Predictions for Round One.

Ravens at Patriots: I already picked the Patriots to win by 7 in my last blog entry. Still stick by that given the home advantage for New England, but it will be a tough one.

Jets at Bengals: I like the Bengals to win. The Jets have been really inconsistent this season and the trash talk coming from Rex Ryan is going to doom them. Mark Sanchez has been very good in some games and very bad in others and while the Jets beat the Bengals in the last game of the season at home, the Bengals will not be the same team in their house.

Packers at Cardinals: I really don't follow the NFC at all, I do not care for any of the teams in that conference. Both Arizona and Green Bay look to me like pretty equal teams and a coin toss could be done to pick a winner. My gut tells me that Green Bay is on the rise and Arizona is on the decline, so I pick the Packers.

Eagles at Cowboys: Dallas defeated the Eagles on the road to take the division title and now host them at home. Dallas has been pretty bad in the playoffs for the last couple of years and I don't really see anything to indicate that they have improved. Being born and raised in PA, I am going with the Eagles.

By the way, don't gamble based on my picks, I usually am wrong.

Nip/Tuck (FX) had the start of its final season this past week and I was really underwhelmed. This show's time has come as they seem to be playing the same themes and plots over and over again. This past week Sean once again realizes how Christian has held him back in his career and life, which has been played out already so may times previously. Boring. And Kimber sure looks really unhealthy, well too thin and too tanned. C

American Chopper (TLC) had another show where it was all drama and no information on the build, which was a very innovative bike for wheelchair bound folks. Would have been nice to see how they solved the problems in building this bike. Instead we get to see Jr and his lawyers visit OCC to check the books on his 20% interest in the company. Jr says that he had hoped to be bought out but that did not happen. We know that Sr has launched a lawsuit against Jr about this issue so I was a tad surprised that the AC producers wanted to cover this in the show. We get to see some very staged interactions, come on guys do you really think that nobody in the shop knew Jr was coming to OCC? Very unprofessional antics with Sr addressing the troops about what a bad person Jr is and was. I hope that Jr's lawyers get a subpoena for this footage and nail OCC in the lawsuit. This show needs to end soon. D

Cold Case (CBS, reruns on TNT). I have been catching up on TNT with this show as I only starting watching it this past season. What a great show and much better than a lot of the stuff I am watching on the networks. I note that the latest episodes have been making the top 20, so I hope that show gets renewed. A

Ghost Whisperer (CBS). The latest show was pretty much business as usual, a ghost is haunting a radio station that pulled pranks that ended up with the death of our ghost. What I wonder is what is the mythology of this show? There seems to be no solid connection with what we learn about Melinda and her interactions with the ghosts. In season one, she met a spiritual being (angel maybe) who took the souls of newborns who passed away to heaven and chatted with her. Never saw a followup with that. We also get the watcher ghosts whose roles are not clearly defined. And now the shiny ones and the shadows? And one other point, Melinda wears way too tight and revealing clothing for a mother of a five year old who does not have a nanny taking care of a the kid, but then again that is why I watch this show so never mind. C

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment