Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thoughts: 27-September-2009

The Red Sox dropped two games to the Yankees and Penn State lost to Iowa last night, 21-10. My teams are tanking this weekend and I feel a another loss coming for the Patriots. Nice gloomy day here in CT too which just adds to the despair.

Marvel is starting up another Spiderman book, The Web of Spiderman. At one point they had four monthly Spiderman books which got condensed to a three times per month publication schedule for the Amazing Spiderman. I liked this idea and thought that they should do this for the Avengers and X-Men. Now they seem to be going back to multiple books per character. I really wonder who can afford to buy all these books.

More Season Premieres.

Eastwick (ABC) is a new show based on the Witches of Eastwick by John Updike. A movie version of this had come out with Cher, Susan Sarandon, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Jack Nicholson. Now we have a show with Rebecca Romijn (Roxanne), who I loved on Pepper Dennis, a show that ended way too early, Lindsay Price (Joanna), a costar from Pepper Dennis and was recently on Lipstick Jungle, and Jamie Ray Newman (Kat) who was Tess on Eureka. Darryl Van Horne is played by Paul Gross who was on the show Due South, which I never watched. I really liked this first episode and will be curious to see where this goes. Has ABC finally found a show to beat their Wednesday 10 pm death zone? So far so good, my only concern is that they need to expand the show beyond having our witches do battle with the mysterious Van Horne. I can see that getting old, and they will need something to carry the plot lines forward. I really liked Charmed, the Good Witch Hallmark movies, and the film Practical Magic, so I have high hopes at this point. A

Grey's Anatomy (ABC) had a two hour whine fest to open up the season. George is dead and everybody is moping around trying to deal with it. The best line was from McSteamy when he said to Lexi, "why do all these gorgeous women fall for this dorky little guy?" And now we have a merger with possible layoffs, I think that this show has run its course and needs to either move on with better plots or get cancelled. C

The Mentalist (CBS) won its time slot in a big well with its premiere. Okay start but I think that we might get a tad too much tension with Jane and Bosco battling it out over the Red John Case. Still this show delivers adequate entertainment with Simon Baker. B

Ghost Whisperer (CBS) now has come competition at 8 pm Friday with Smallville (CW) and Law & Order (NBC) and I think will need to step up its game. We see Melinda have her baby son and then a five year leap where the kid is now showing some of his special abilities and Jim is now an intern in the local hospital. Could be the last season for this show if the ratings drop, will be interesting to see who wins this time slot. B

Law & Order (NBC) started its 20th season with a very political episode where Jack takes on the Bush administration for their use of torture. I wonder if they are going pushing the envelop and going out with a bang. Still worth watching. B

Robin Hood (BBC America) is having a very good final season and I would urge folks to check it out. One of the best shows on TV and I will miss it when it is over. A

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment