Friday, October 9, 2009

Thoughts: 09-October-2009

I normally prefer to avoid political topics in this blog, but Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize is absolutely crazy. What did he do to deserve it especially given that nominations closed 12 days after he took office. I do not recall anything he did that would warrant a nomination. Theodore Roosevelt helped negotiate a treaty between Russia and Japan to end a war. Jimmy Carter helped negotiate a treaty between Israel and Egypt the first such in the Middle East. Obama gave some speeches. Unbelievable.

Red Sox dropped Game 1 to the Angels in CA yesterday 5-0. A loss tonight sends them back to Boston 2 games down, a position that they do not want to be in. I was afraid that after beating the Angels in several previous playoff series, that the Angels will be due. Let us hope the Red Sox pull it out tonight.

Penn State takes on Eastern Illinois tomorrow at home, a game, my brother and his family are going to see. I like Penn State to win big in their last non conference game, 42 to 3.

The Patriots travel to Denver to play the Broncos this Sunday. After the big win over the Ravens and my belief that the Broncos are not as good as their 4-0 record will assume, I like the Patriots to win 34-7.

Second causality of the Fall TV season has occurred, NBC cancelled Southland (TheFutonCritic.com) before airing any episodes. When NBC renewed this show last season, after its debut episodes had strong ratings, I was wondering if they were premature. And given the ratings slide that occurred toward the end of season 1, it appears I was right. Dateline NBC has been scoring really well in that time slot, coming in second in the ratings. Given that this is a cheaper show to produce, it was a no brainer for NBC. Southland has six episodes in the can, so I guess they will be showing them later in the season.

HBO renewed Bored to Death for a second season based on strong ratings after the start of the Seinfeld reunion story line on Curb Your Enthusiasm. HBO did this before for a show called I Will Always Love You, and then took it back. I like Bored to Death, very deadpan comedy.

TV Guide commented on the poor ratings for this season of Fringe, due to Fox putting it up against the ratings powerhouses of CSI and Grey's Anatomy. I agree, Fringe was better on Tuesday night. When will networks learn?

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment